Everyone is talking about it, so I thought I’d give you my spin on how you can best use ChatGPT in your small business.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a conversational language model developed by OpenAI. It uses deep learning algorithms and has been trained on a large text data set to generate human-like responses to text-based inputs. ChatGPT is capable of performing various language tasks such as answering questions, generating text, and engaging in conversations on various topics.
There are varying views on leveraging this tool for marketing. Google doesn’t want AI-generated material, Neil Patel says ‘ChatGPT isn’t your content creation saviour…it fails to replicate the human emotion component that’s essential for marketing.’
First things first, if you haven’t signed up to their free account, you can do so at openai.com/blog/chatgpt. Disclaimer: Don’t be surprised if their server is busy – it is very popular.
Here are some ways that you can use this AI tool to help save you time on your marketing activities:
- Improve content: Poor grammar and spelling can negatively impact the user experience. Effective tools like Grammarly are commonly used by writers and editors. However, AI tools like ChatGPT go beyond simply checking grammar and spelling. They can rearrange articles, generate summaries, insert bullet points, and even suggest appropriate subheadings.
- Create meta-descriptions: Google doesn’t use meta descriptions as a ranking factor for organic searches, but they do show up as snippets in search results. Having meta descriptions for all pages allows for better control over the appearance of these snippets, increasing the likelihood of clicks. By utilizing AI to generate a page summary, time can be saved and Google policies are likely not violated. The AI-generated summary can serve as a draft for a meta description, which can then be edited and optimized by adding relevant keywords that can be emphasized by appearing in bold in search snippets.
- Generating title ideas: Crafting engaging title tags can be difficult. ChatGPT can generate ideas with minimal guidance or with a particular focus, such as content with a “how-to” format.
- A/B testing: ChatGPT can A/B Test and create both short and long variations of product names, email subject lines, social ads and more to test with your target audience. You can ask the tool to generate a specified number of options or utilize its “Regenerate response” button.
- FAQs: ChatGPT can create a variety of ecommerce-related FAQs, including information on shipping, returns and exchanges, warranties, and more. It can even identify frequently asked questions. Simply instruct it to “Write FAQs for shopping at an [insert industry] online store.”
- Social Media Posts: Marketers are already utilizing this AI tool for social media purposes. The tool can generate posts for the specific platform you choose, complete with emojis and hashtags – very cool!
- Email Marketing: Small businesses often rely on email marketing to connect with their target audience and drive sales. However, crafting engaging email subject lines and body text can be time-consuming and challenging, especially for those without marketing expertise. With this AI tool, small business owners can generate multiple variations of email subject lines and content, then test them with their audience to see which one performs better. This way, they can optimize their email marketing campaigns without having to spend hours brainstorming and writing content.
- Landing Page Copy: Landing pages are critical for driving conversions and sales for small businesses. However, creating a landing page with compelling copy that convinces visitors to take action can be challenging. With ChatGPT, small business owners can generate landing page copy in a matter of seconds, saving them time and effort. Additionally, ChatGPT can help create variations of the copy to conduct A/B testing to see which version drives the most conversions.
- Blog Post Ideas: Blogging is an effective way for small businesses to drive traffic to their website, establish authority in their industry, and generate leads. However, coming up with new and engaging blog post ideas can be challenging. ChatGPT can help small business owners generate ideas for blog posts, such as “Top 10 Tips for [insert industry],” “How to [insert industry-specific challenge],” and “The Ultimate Guide to [insert industry-specific topic].” Small business owners can also use ChatGPT to generate a list of subtopics, headings, and even bullet points for each blog post idea.
Whilst ChatGPT is a powerful tool, it’s essential to note that it’s not a replacement for human creativity and emotion. While the tool can generate content quickly and efficiently, it may lack the human touch necessary for successful marketing campaigns. As such, I would recommend that businesses should always edit and polish any content generated by ChatGPT before publishing it online.